Melissa Johnson, J.D.
Melissa Johnson joined Generation Law, Ltd. in 2015 as their litigation counsel. After graduating from DePaul University College of Law, she spent a year practicing at the Law Offices of Howard Lee Schiff in Connecticut before spending seven years at Freedman Anselmo Lindberg LLC as a litigator and managing attorney.
Melissa has handled hundreds of contested motions and trials throughout her career. Her focus at Generation Law is on contested probates and guardianships for disabled adults with an emphasis on citation proceedings involving the financial exploitation of the elderly and presumptively void transfers. In addition, Melissa vigorously represents clients in the areas of trust litigation, including land trusts, elder law, estate planning and estate administration.
Melissa is a member of the DuPage County Bar Association where she has been a featured speaker on a variety of topics. She is also a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys where she serves as the chair of the Litigation and Education committees for the Illinois chapter.
- Successfully recovered over $200,000 in personal assets and real property from a caregiver found to have exploited an elderly couple in Lake County.
- Obtained summary judgment on a contested land trust issue involving a deadlock among beneficiaries.
- Successfully argued for an elderly defendant to remain in his home and receive its full value upon its sale.
- Served as court appointed special trustee for a contested trust administration matter.
- Prevailed after trial, against a former probate judge, on a contested guardianship involving a ward suffering from Huntington’s Disease and objecting to the appointment of a guardian.
Both of Melissa’s grandmothers are alive in their 90s, so there is a personal connection to making sure the elderly are well represented. She takes on each client’s cause as if it were her own. By the end of the case, clients may feel that Melissa is part of their family. She is married with three young boys, (8, 2 and 4 mos.), and stays busy with them as a travel hockey team manager and member of the Parent Teacher Organization. She loves to read and attend concerts, and offer up her sarcastic wit around the office. She is addicted to Diet Coke and will not start the day without one. It’s what allows her to win all of her cases.
To get in touch with Melissa, call 630-782-1766 or email email@example.com.